Thursday, May 1, 2008

May Day update

What a rush of a week has gone by since I've posted. Thanks for being patient with me, we've been so busy.
I cannot believe it is May!!!
Now that things have settled down we'll concentrate on getting the garden in. I wonder though if it is safe! Yesterday we had frost on the window of the truck, 40 days later than the average last frost date. But despite that I did plant 5 pumpkin starts that needed to go in the ground. Charissa started her cucumber garden with a row of lemon cucumbers (they are delicious) and a row of slicing cucumbers. Joseph and I planted a row of spinach and a row of red leaf lettuce. I cannot wait till the salad garden begins to produce for me!!! James and I discussed making a cold frame before fall so that we can have salad all winter long. We have one started in the wooden raised beds that were here when we moved in, we just need to add to them to put the glass windows on top.

We still have one rooster to butcher but he is not nearly as noisy as the other and he is not mean in the least. He actually turns and runs the other way when you walk in the coop. :)

Firefly has under 2 weeks till kidding and they say to be ready a week early. So we are finishing up the kidding stall for her. It's just a matter of cleaning it out and putting a warming box in the corner. The baby kids love to climb under things to sleep so you put in a wooden box on it's side for them to climb into to sleep. I've finally decided on my plan of action for milking. There are so many ways people do things, choices were:
1. Separate mom and kid right away and bottle feed from the get go.
2. Let mom take care of everything for the first 2-3 months and then separate (which is hard if it is a single birth).
3. Let mom have kids for 2 weeks then separate at night and milk just once a day. (again is hard if single birth)
I've decided to follow choice #3 unless she has just a single birth, which is rare and her last kidding was single so it's unlikely. With 2 kidding and coming into milk I decided once a day milking will give me plenty and I'll only do that for 2 months and then wean them by separating them from mom completely.
I'm very much looking forward to having milk again.
I'm a little nervous about this being my first kidding and pray that all goes well so I don't have to assist in any major way. :)

I hope to post more regularly from now on.
Have a great day!

1 comment:

Tania K said...

Thanks great blog post