Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Kids (as in goats not humans) update

The kids are doing fabulous. They are getting 4 bottles a day with 12 ounces each time. We feed them at 6AM, 11AM, 5PM and 9PM. They sleep from 9PM until 6AM! YEAH! In another 2 weeks I'll have to be waking in the night again to watch for Butter's kidding, so I'm thankful for the sleep now.
Speaking of Butter, she is a pain! She is really going to be a very difficult goat to milk. She has been going in the milk stanchion everyday to eat her grain ration, to get used to being in the milk stanchion, BUT she will not let us touch her udder. UGH! How are we to milk her? I was told to put hobbles on her so she couldn't kick and that I could use a scarf as a hobble. So I tried this today. It didn't work. She wouldn't even let me get the scarf around even one of her legs....she kicked me in the jaw!! OH MY did that hurt! I'm feeling pretty blessed and protected because it could have been MUCH worse. So...not sure what we'll do. Maybe store bought hobbles are easier to get on, no tying involved. We'll take it one day at a time. MAYBE she'll nurse her kids and it will calm her down, get her used to having someone touching her udder...but then again with as wild as she is maybe she won't even let her kids near her.
Here are some new pictures of the goats.
Firefly is so pretty.


I know it is a little blurry but it is so cute anyway with the 3 kids all checking Joseph out.

I just love this picture. They are holding the little doe.

Here is the little doe. Names so far to choose from are Fawn, Brown Sugar, and Brie (as in cheese).
(Save your suggestions....I MIGHT have a "name the goat contest")

Kelsey is feeding one of the bucks. He is kind of chocolate malt color so names so far are Malt and Milkshake.
I don't like either.


And this is John. He is named. It's a long story..but he is John.
He has a stripe around his tail like a raccoon so he almost was 'Coon.

6 comments:

Mimi said...

Ouch, I'm sorry you got kicked. Ay yi yi!

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan,
ya gotta watch those darn ladies! glad you didn't get kicked badly. you might have one of the children hold up a front leg while you hobble which will keep her from being able to kick out the back so easily. note to self - keep face away from back end! LOL
the velcro hobbles are easier to put on, but still the situation is that you HAVE TO BE BOSS - and boy it can be a battle. Especially since Butter was a single and has basically gotten whatever she wanted from day one. She should calm down after kidding, but you should expect a battle of the milk stantion! have fun and keep me informed. sherie

Liz in Seattle said...

Guess your guardian angel was working overtime...whew!

Hey, I'm all about naming contests. And as a prize, you can offer an all-expenses paid trip to St. Brigid Farm B&B, in lovely Poulsbo, WA. See the chickens! Visit the goats! Herd the children! What a party!

Lisa said...

I'm so sorry that you got kicked! I don't have any animals except dogs, but I can imagine.

I just wanted to say, I'm so happy everything worked out with Firefly! I have been checking in and worrying about her! Silly, I know, but it's true. Does seem like anything that big could safely deliver everything inside!

As for names, this isn't gret, but how about Whopper for the malt colored boy. You know... like the candy??

Liz in Seattle said...

Okay, time to get those names on record! For the young lady: Cocoa, Mocha (sorry, Helen), Truffle. I can't help it...she just LOOKS like chocolate. For the variegated buck, how about, um, Variegated? Beats the heck out of Spot...

Matt said...

OUCH! Poor jaw.
Do you have any cheese to sell? If so, what is the price? And do you ship?