Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mina

Mina is our 7 1/2 month old Great Pyreness/Anatolian Shepherd livestock guardian dog. She is not all LGD because we don't know who the father is. But nonetheless she is being introduced to the livestock to be their protector. She will not be trained to be JUST for the livestock as a lot of LGD dogs are raised. When doing that you need to give them VERY little human contact. We've already failed at that. But she is in the goat yard ALL day long with them and then sleeps on the front porch of our house. This is how I find her a lot of times during the day, as if she is sitting on her throne overlooking the farm yard.
She seems to get along great with the goats now and I even find her playing a little with Butter. Sometimes I worry that she is a bit too rough and she'll get hurt as they try to tell her to leave them alone. But I've noticed that it happens mostly when I'm around but if I leave she stops.
Here are Firefly (behind) and Butter.

1 comment:

Liz in Seattle said...

My (completely uneducated and only based on cats/babies), is that she will be very protective of the new kids. She's such a sweet girl :-)

Love,
Liz (wearin' my egg shirt)