Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Brie kidded today!

We had a very exciting day. After 2 1/2 weeks gone, James returned home from Uganda today. And approximately 6 hours later Brie gave birth to a beautiful little doeling that has been named Heidi! She was 2 days early!
She is a perfect mother! She took right to her baby and has been very attentive.


Here she is just seconds old!




These 2 pictures are beautiful pictures of bonding. My other 2 goats that I have experienced birthing with didn't take to their babies. Last year both mothers rejected their babies. With Firefly I think she was just overwhelmed with triplets. Butter, well, maybe we didn't try hard enough. And this year with Butter I purposely separated her from her babies because she had a terrible rash on her udder that I was unsure about. So, this is our first experience with a mama letting her baby nurse.



Brie is a very proud mama!



Here is Heidi latched on perfectly!

When I left the barn at nearly 10pm she had suckled several times and they seemed to be doing well together. I'm hopeful all will go well in the night.

4 comments:

Liz in Seattle said...

Congratulations!!! Looking forward to meeting the young lady :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh how exciting! Now that school's out, I will have to come visit some time!

-Jenny

Michelle M. said...

How beautiful!!

We saw some lambs a few weeks ago that had just been born. It was amazing. I hope things continue to go well for the mama and her little one.

sheriemcm said...

she looks just like her mama