Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Spring is here, life renewed.

I can't believe it's been 3/4 of a year since I posted.  I can't believe people still come to look. 
Red-flowering Currant. The hummingbirds love these!

As spring has come to our neck of the woods I'm feeling renewed, energized, encouraged and inspired! 

Just as I posted about last summer,  I'm ready to go, full of vim and vigor. I've updated my project list in my planner/calendar book.  Several things are still on there from last year and many new things. 

The goals are the same, learning to be self-sufficient.  The challenges are the same, disorganization and chaos. 

But I am renewed with the spring.

Cleaning up garden beds.
We've had an amazing spring so far, we've even hit 70 degrees once already, March 31st.  I've been working in the garden, readying the beds. I've planted spinach and sweet pea flowers.  The garlic is emerging. 



Garlic


    The first Saturday of March we butchered our old flock of chickens and put 24 hens in the freezer. My mom was here to help and all the children helped. Everyone is getting used to it. Charissa even tried her hand at helping me with eviscerating.

My emerging echinacea.
My mom is going to be living with us for a little while and while she was here in January/February she did a lot of research on raising meat rabbits.  She really would like to try her hand at breeding and raising rabbit for meat.  So that might be something we do this summer with her in charge.  (She's back in MN right now packing up her place. She'll be back in May.)

Having my mom here is going to be an incredible inspiration.  My mom is very project oriented and loves to keep busy. So I'm excited to have her here to keep me going!

Chives. We used some for dinner last night!
   

2 comments:

Mimi said...

What a wonderful thing to have your mom with you! Many Years!

I agree, I feel kind of bad because we are out of step with the rest of the country, but wow! We've had such a gorgeous and early spring this year. Can't wait to see what your garden grows

grammafaithie said...

WOW, Sue, I hope I live up to your expectations! Your gonna' keep me on my feet trying to keep us busy.. but thats getting into the area that I love! so we WILL have some fun! I think #1 on the list will be to build our underbed storage! I will need a place for all my crafts, etc!
Thanks for letting me stay indefinitely! LOVE YOU ALL....
Mom/Faith/Grammafaith